Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Steeped in Tradition...

Fourth of July in Richfield has this way of kind of melting into a spiritual experience.  And I know you're thinking, "Hello Miss Over Exaggerator", and I agree I possess that gift, but when it comes to my favorite holiday, in my favorite place, with my favorite people - I exaggerate not.
When I arrive at my home town with my clan of wee gents, they spring load out of car doors to hug their Grandma & Grandpa and then rush to the sandbox.  I slowly drink it all in... my childhood house, my parents, the yard of amazing flowers... topped off with a deep breath of Richfield air.  There is the promise of adventure, and rest, and memories when I pull into that driveway.  The flag fluttering on the pole waves it's hello and abides with us all weekend long against skies of light blue and clouds of cotton candy.
Geez, lady...calm down already, ammiright??! :)
OK, OK, before I totally go off the deep end with metaphors and imagery...
I'll just let the pictures do the talking, and show you some highlights of our Fourth of July celebration which boasts of tradition every which way you look.
It's my very favorite.  Did I mention that?  :)
I mean it's REALLLL good!
Is it just me or is there something dreamily romantic about little kids being reverent with hands over hearts when the flag is presented?
Baby Boone wasn't about to miss his morning nap for a little parade... regardless of the constant revving of engines and wailing of sirens. #sleepskills
The fish grab at the park is one of my boys' very favorite events of the entire celebration.  The local fish hatchery donates rainbow trout and if you can grab them with your bare hands - you can keep 'em!  Lucky me... the boys are getting soooo good at this.  :)  But so is mama... I came prepared with ziplock baggies this year.  Fist bumps!
Waiting for Fireworks with homemade ice cream and carmel corn and cousins...
And bottled root beer.... start 'em young!  :)
And glow sticks, because why not?
Forever my favorite holiday.
So grateful to live in the U.S.A.

1 comment:

The Sutherland Family said...

The best! Those are some cute kids =) And your firework pics turned out awesome!