Saturday, October 10, 2015

Another Day Another Field Trip...

This week I got to accompany Dax and Ace on a field trip to Heber Valley Artisanal Cheese Factory.  I swear, they may not be learning a ton each and every day in Preschool, but their mama sure is - on each and every field trip!  
For example, I bet you didn't know that each Holstein cow on a dairy farm produces 6-12 gallons of milk a day.  This requires that they drink an entire bath tub full of water each day... every cow!  I mean... really?  Can you even?
Holsteins are the best milk producers, but they have fewer components in their milk so if you're actually a cheese maker or a butter maker, you may be more interested in Guernsey or Ayrshire cattle.  So much science to be considered like milk fat content and protein and breeding speed?  Gah.  These dairy farmers are freakin' geniuses.
Beyond my brain swelling with interesting facts, the boys LOVED the nursery.  The little cows over in this section of the dairy farm were a week to three-months old and they were ADORABLE!  Ace was the first to volunteer to let a wee one suck on his fingers like a little baby cow binkie.  And once he giggled his head off, most of the rest of the preschoolers followed suit.
Just one of my babies making friends with one of their babies...
  It was a gorgeous day in one of my favorite valleys in the state no matter the time of year.
I think I'm ready to make the move and become a milkmaid, Ryno.
Dax is still considering... :)
 Thanks all you milk cows of the world and hats off all you smart, hard-working dairy farmers.  Where would we be without our nightly cup o' "Chock Milk"? 

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

This looks so fun! (A bathtub?? Who knew??) I love it.