Friday, April 24, 2015

How We "Bean" Lately...

Well, Well, Well, what have we here?
On Wednesday we done went to the Bean Museum on the lovely campus of BYU.
I had zero intentions of going.  We had a hike planned that morning and soccer practice that afternoon and I kinda thought to myself - "Yippee!  An afternoon off - free and clear."
Well the misters had other things in mind.  When we climbed down off the mountain trail they dutifully clambered into their car seats and asked if we were going straight to the field trip or if we would stop at home first.  Crap.  Not only did they NOT forget about the field trip but they were being SO good.  I was gonna have to pony up and go
(After I applied some deodorant and did a lightning fast wardrobe change)
So we did.
I know it doesn't sound really exciting, but we got a surprising level of thrill from our little trip.  I know we parents are very good at pretending we are every bit as excited as our kids for things like watching garbage trucks out front or finding awesome rocks along a neighborhood walk, but the more you play along, this amazing thing happens:  You actually do find these things thrilling.
OK, Maybe not to Ace's level... but come on.  He's on a whole other scale entirely.

My boys are such examples of tenacity to me.  No joke the two mighty preschoolers held their hands up in the sky THE ENTIRE presentation in hopes that they would be called on as volunteers during the "Live Animal Show".  And gosh darn... it paid off.  Meet my two eager helpers. 
And yeah, I felt another wave of endorphins kick in as I watched them answer the speaker's questions and analyze clues to determine the "secret live animal" they would get to see.
This parenting gig doesn't come with any "Must Dos" in fine print.  But every once in a while I'm glad I get to do something a little bit more than the usual... to spark imagination and have fun with my little misters.  Smiles, togetherness and a side of satisfaction... at the Bean.

No comments: