Thursday, December 12, 2013

Welcome to Bethlehem...

Today we did Christmas the way it should be done.


We made our own little nativity scenes that I ordered on a whim from Oriental Trading for a whopping three bucks way back pre-Thanksgiving.  I'm not gonna lie... it might rank up there with swaddling blankets as one of the greatest purchases this mama ever made.




Their little fingers pointed and asked what each "character" was as they stuck it to their little scene (or themselves in Ace's case); and we talked.  We talked about how Christmas is Jesus' birthday and how the wise men knew to follow the star to find him in the stable lying in a manger.  We talked about the shepherds that wanted to come get a peek at their new King.  And who Jesus' Mommy was, and the white blankies he was wrapped in.  And by golly, I think they kinda got it.




Of course, our own Nativity set from Jerusalem has been "gently loved" these past few years as bits and pieces of the story of Christ's birth have been absorbed.  We are missing a sheep and Dax took one of the wise men on a recent trip to Target "so he could pick a new gift for baby Jesus".  But that's kind of it, isn't it?  I want them to know the story of Jesus' birth and it's beautiful history and the meaning it brings to the holidays as they celebrate.  And I want them to feel close to Him, even if that means swiping a donkey and clutching it tightly in their tiny hand.  I also want them to enjoy the imaginative story about Santa and elves and Rudolph.  And feel the magic with presents under the tree and sweet treats and game nights with those they love.  I want this holiday to mean both things to my children as we create traditions and celebrate love and family and giving.  

I feel good knowing we've balanced the scales a wee bit here.  I feel like a Mom.  You know how some things just hit you... preschool drop off, field trips, applying Band-aids... whatever it is, and you mentally note that you just earned a Mama Merit Badge and you feel so fulfilled in doing what you're doing as a parent?  


Yes, that.  With sweet baby Jesus and my three wise little men.

No comments: