Sunday, February 11, 2018

Starfish and Sting Rays...

This past week we got to spend the night at the Aquarium - after hours.  This meant spending a night "under the sea" without the "sea" of people to deal with.  And it didn't suck.  :)
I love watching the wonder of a first-time aquarium goer.  
Boone's face said it all...
Like, "Wait, you WANT me to reach my hand in the water and touch that critter?" 
"You aren't going to pull my hand out and say, 'No-No'?"
"It's allowed to run up to the big tanks and put my hands and face on the glass and stare in wonder for an extended length of time?"
Yes, Yes, Yes... all of the above, little loves.
Also - the shark tunnel.  Will I ever get over the irrational fears/complete wonder of the shark tunnel?  Like seriously - ALL that water... it's bound to collapse sometime.  Just watch, I'll be walking through the shark tank when an earthquake cracks the glass and I'll be eaten on land by a Great White.  These are thoughts I entertain while walking through the tunnel every dang time.  But I kind of love the thrill and the threat of danger all wrapped into one.
That is why folks pay to go to the aquarium, I guess?
For the record, we didn't have to pay.  Which makes every experience all the more enjoyable.  And bonus - free ice cream sandwiches.  Double bonus: I travel with Boone, who, true to form, has a bite or two and then says, "Don't want it, Mommy.  Here go."  Don't mind if I do, Booner Bear.
We found all the brightly colored poisonous frogs in the frog habitat.
We lounged on a great number of frog statues as well.
And a turtle... for good measure.
The penguins were experiencing their 20+ hours of winter darkness in their habitat that mimics the arctic, which was a bit of a bummer, but I guess we understand.
Kaelster had a butterfly or two land on him in the butterfly habitat.  He was the only one in our crew, so we've decided he is the sweetest.  :)
And Grandpa & Boone schemed up various ways of catching the lunker out of the fresh water exhibits together.  Few words.  Many hand gestures.  :)
We lost Ace Face several times who was hell bent on finding the otters and the sloths with or without our companionship.  So if you're wondering why you never see his face in these shots - know that Grandma was playing a mandatory game of Hide & Seek with him most of the night.  Bless her.
And the obligatory aquarium shot to wrap it up....
For the record, my childhood viewing of Jaws makes this pose a little hard for me to take... still.
Some things stick with you, you know?
Du-Duh.... Du Duh....

No comments: