Friday, June 30, 2017

Party Like There's No Work Tomorrow...

One thing I will always love about my Mama is her dedication to hard work.  That woman!  Up before dawn to "work out", and then, "mother henning" all of us off to school, and then to the office to "work for a living", then somehow, in between it all, she did her "favorite work" which was our family every long evening at ball parks, dance studios, and gyms.  
I never felt like a latch key kid and I never felt like my Mom was never around.  Her way to balance it all meant she put herself, her social connections, her hobbies, and sleep - largely on the back burner.  And when she was home - she was home.  With us.  With a smile on her face and usually an iron in her hand or a spatula or some other home making tool she was multi-tasking with.
This past weekend we celebrated her retirement.  She's done!  After 34 years (she took off ten to have us babies), she has decided to enjoy the fruits of her labors and we are so happy for her -- but none more than her grand kids.  And speaking of those kiddos - they gathered for sun and fun at Seven Peaks and then everyone was at our house for a BBQ and the dunk tank.
Grandma and Grandpa were both good sports and they volunteered to take the plunge.  The kids were tireless in their efforts to dunk one another and all their cousins.  They dunk tanked all the day long.
I adore summer with it's warm temps and it's shade trees and it's days full of family and food.  And I adore my Mom and wish her all the best in her retirement.  Watch out world - she's comin' for ya.

No comments: