Friday, March 3, 2017

Capitol Cats...

This past week I gathered all my mama gumption in preparation for a trek to the State Capitol with all my fellers.  One thing I've learned is those little spongey minds of my offspring actually soak in a lot more than I ever think they are.  SO these educational field trips are worth it despite the profuse sweating/shlepping which I have referred to on so many occasions. 
The State Capitol was throwing a ginormous party in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday and what better way to combine two things we're currently passionate about:  reading and politics - ok, Grandpa. Bonus - Cousins would be there!
We sent in our RSVPs so I wouldn't back out despite the fact that Daddy-o wouldn't be in attendance, and we rose with the sun and headed out with the baby back pack for Boone's morning adventure and my morning work out. :)
I'm so glad we did it.  We had a personal tour of the Capitol Building from my Dad's intern, Shay.  It was so insightful and I love learning the little tidbits about the history and architecture of one of Utah's most beautiful buildings... plus my mama taught me, if I jot it down, I have a higher chance of recalling these little snippets of trivial pursuit info for a future appearance on Jeopardy, so here I go... 
Bonus - The Lorax was there!  He lives in Moab.  Who knew?
Did you know the building was erected in 1912 and it cost 2.3 million dollars to construct?  It was then refurbished and the restoration was completed in 2008.  That project cost $227 million dollars. Inflation... is real, folks.  
The marble used throughout the building came from a quarry in Georgia and is the same marble used in the Nation's capitol building.  The chandelier in the middle of the rotunda weighs 1000 lbs but the chain to hold it weighs 4000 lbs!
There is natural light on every level thanks to the use of clever sky lights and window placement by a genius architect who also happened to have had a house fire as a kid, and made every door in the building steel with a faux wood finish.  I like him more already.
See those seagulls painted in the top of the rotunda? They look somewhat life sized from the vantage point of a regular joe on the main floor, but in reality their painted wingspan is roughly 9 feet!
Each of the kiddos got to sit on the House floor for a bit with Grandpa and watch him vote on several issues.  It was a reverent highlight for each of them, and he had stocked his desk drawer full of little trinkets he knew they would each love like little House of Rep coins and candies and chocolates.  He's either got this grandpa shtick down OR he is a kid at heart.  :)  
Boone had his snack outside the confines of the baby backpack in the "hex hallways" and if there is such a thing as tile envy - I officially have it.
After our tour and our time on the floor we were gifted our Cat in the Hat head wear and sack lunches and we got our picture taken with Curious George.  The photographer had a polaroid camera which he printed out our image with, and no joke... 100% intrigue and curiosity while our image appeared right before their very eyes.  :)
They met the Governor and were on their best behavior.  :)
And they learned he is far shorter than the Cat in the Hat...
 We had a great day.  We feel so lucky to have gotten to see the ins and outs of the Utah State Capitol Building.  It is such a beautiful place and we are so very blessed to have freedoms and quality public servants who are willing to do the work and take the time.
And cookies.
 And little faces...
 And posers...
To enjoy it all with.

No comments: